Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zinn

Piken holiday population and beyond

58 posts in this topic

Ayo, fellers!

Just wanted to get  a discussion rolling on our current numbers during the day. I haven't been playing too much (still too much) during this christmas season but I noticed that we've definitely lost a good chunk of our wvw players since the relink last week. During the actual reset we barely had a 10 ppl que on the borders and even that only lasted for about an hour. As most of us probably noticed Kodash started steamrolling us during the day and we are barely able to defend one T3 objective come prime time. It's obvious that our current link is much weaker than RoS was and they do not play wvw nearly as actively. It's fairly obvious that we will tank hard since even SFR overtakes us now. My question and the topic of the discussion would be if you think we can expect this lack of presence "permamently" from now on or is it only because of the holiday season (ppl spending it with their loved ones, friends etc.) It's obvious that we are going to drop ranks hard but realistically speaking how much in your opinion?

It's very interesting for me to get the whole picture about the cause of these events and I would like to get your take on the matter.

1531822258297.jpg

I keep saying that people are quick to forget how bad it is on Piken without a good link. 

Well, there are multiple answers to your questions, most of which would be connected and are correct:

• RoS was indeed a very active link. It was stacked with guilds and is home to a rather active alliance of dedicated wvw players. It's currently listed as a high population world on gw2 wiki, which would explain why past link was so active (Piken (very high) + RoS (High)). Blacktide is currently a medium server, not at all stacked with guilds like RoS is. 
  • Holidays are always a low attendance period for people, so you see a drop in activity for every server.
  • People probably notice a drop in activity, and log less into wvw because of that, thus creating a "vicious" circle.
  •  Piken wvw population has always been, in my experience at least, small and inconsistent. People do PvX, instead of servers like WsR where people camp almost 24/7 wvw. When you look at the previous link, you saw a lot of RoS people in wvw, squads and ts, 2-1 ratio against piken sometimes even. And the total RoS population is lower than Pikens. There are just some people on the server that log into wvw just for the 2 raid events on weekends and then just play something else, holidays or not.  

PS: 

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying anything of this is a bad thing. Just giving my analysis. 

Hello ,

I would say that clearly the scenario is more challenging than before but on the other side I believe is also more interesting if guilds talks and collaborate , ( which I believe is the best characteristic of this server ), we have been ahead in this match-up until yesterday and for sure we will remain in T1. We need to have more Tag coverage as we made in the previous days and probably more fighting Commanders that keep busy enemies on EB. 

I do agree also with what wrote Eramir above with exception of his last point , (  Piken wvw population has always been, in my experience at least, small and inconsistent. People do PvX, instead of servers like WsR where people camp almost 24/7 wvw..... ) . I do really see in this case the opposite PIKEN is great in his population with a very good balancing in the way they move and collaborate and see how to use the right tactics to face the enemies.

Clearly as also Laxxi say we need a good link , on the other side we are showing that at the moment alone we still keep T1 as rank , ( this week I have seen very few activity from BT ) and SF is not none as enemy , ( you don't go in T1 , T2 or T3 just for luck ).

On the other side if we see that ROS that' s positioned as matchup with the lowest Tier server, (should win in theory very easy) , they are not winning and will remain at the bottom of the ranking, means that being just active with no coordination and tactical vision and playing alone as single group it doesn't pay off.

What means this ? In my opinion means that WvW is a complex game that need as we were last weeks a right coverage of fighting and ppt , not only one or the other would allow to win. WvW ,it is build in such way to oblige guilds and people to coordinate each other and support each other , play as server and not as single group fighting when is the moment and taking , bunking towers etc also.

My two cents as conclusion to Zinn question. We will stay between T1 and T2 only if we collaborate and I believe we can do it. Next weeks would be difficult because Year End Holidays and the 8th the new season coming. However also others will have same challenges so let wait for and let talk in the friday meetings . Where we go it will depend only from us, that I believe is different for other servers where their future do not depend only from them.

this is why i love piken... so many democracy loving players that choose to be their own player and do as THEY wish... #pikenpride

2 hours ago, ducadiebonhawke said:

On the other side if we see that ROS that' s positioned as matchup with the lowest Tier server, (should win in theory very easy) , they are not winning and will remain at the bottom of the ranking, means that being just active with no coordination and tactical vision and playing alone as single group it doesn't pay off.

So why are you losing to Kodash? you know, German holidays, enough said.

3 hours ago, ducadiebonhawke said:

PPT contains the same kind of estrogen as soy (i.e. the kind that has literally no effect on a human). Stop throwing around that soy-boy nonsense. It makes you sound like a gigantic tool.

In my opinion we are losing at the moment , ( we can still recover in theory ), because from yesterday they have increased the coverage and we had not enough Tag per borders and people to attack them, we could only defend do some tactical attacks and push back resetting towers at SFR. On Top mostly SFR , it has more attacked us than Kodash. I have tagged for more than two hours the 25th afternoon jumping from defending Garri , than Dawn and NW Tower. We made probably more than 30 fights and push back them and I have to say frankly that Pikeners has been epic but clearly this was not possible to do for more than two hours. I do recognize that Kodash it has really played perfect tactic and strategy but I am convinced after that especially that we can defeat them if we play all and coordinated.

I hope that starting from this evening we start to recover but in case not no problem. Head up to our enemies and we are still in T1 giving a lot of points of difference at SFR . So great result whatever it will end.

17 minutes ago, mcMidgett said:

PPT contains the same kind of estrogen as soy (i.e. the kind that has literally no effect on a human). Stop throwing around that soy-boy nonsense. It makes you sound like a gigantic tool.

mc Midgett, my point is not PPT or PPK as per my opinion these are sides that an ideal server need to know how to mix and manage. You can say the same for a Commander , you have fights and also hard making PPT when you start to attack towers which are bunked and well defended, you have Blob coming when you attack T2 or T3 and sometimes even for T1. What I like is to manage both with logic and have fights in the field and in the moment you choose and in the field you choose and take them out resources , ( Towers ), using the best strategy. I do believe this is an Adrenalin way to play , not easy at all because it request a lot of efforts, coordination and perfect timing. 

Clearly this is my personal point of vision nothing more , nothing less.

Didn't we also lose two of our more active wvw guilds?

Sorry, but I fail to see (both PPT and PPK wise) how a blob in a queued map being farmed in front of a tower/keep/etc is logical/ideal/or strategic when those are direct war score points being earned that actually can't be avoided by capping something before a tick/it upgrades/karma trained/etc and often times can completely turn a skirmish around in favor of the farmers... 

1 hour ago, mcMidgett said:

Sorry, but I fail to see (both PPT and PPK wise) how a blob in a queued map being farmed in front of a tower/keep/etc is logical/ideal/or strategic when those are direct war score points being earned that actually can't be avoided by capping something before a tick/it upgrades/karma trained/etc and often times can completely turn a skirmish around in favor of the farmers... 

Mcmidgett my dude your opinion is completely irrelevant to this discussion since you  are on RoS. I think you are a cool dude and have some fun opinions without being too obvious about being a troll like some other fellas on your server. All I'm saying is that I know you love Piken deep in your heart so just come back here and stop spewing bullshit. I personally want you back here as well, giving us some healthy reality checks. You are wasted over there, m8

1 hour ago, Eramir216 said:

@DrPyro who? 

I heard bob and gcef? 

We're basically the same guild at this point and most of us are still on Piken. I did transfer out this afternoon though.

5 minutes ago, Laxxi said:

We're basically the same guild at this point and most of us are still on Piken. I did transfer out this afternoon though.

Spoiler: Am traitor too

Tbh I consider my opinion to be very relevant as I am currently a member of the forum and therefore am allowed to voice said opinion.  #democracy

I appreciate the invite to join the 'community", but I was on Piken years ago... it's still the same now as it was back there.

I prefer playing on a server and with players that meet my gaming desires and expectations and that actually do things instead of discussing them in forums or meetings, only to have them end up in an endless 'circle jerk' of repetition and "democracy", because everyone should have a say and right to play how they want and yet those that bottle people up into "useful" roles are considered tyrants or .

But hey it's just a game eh?

At this point BoB isnt moving anywhere. If we do, we will make a decision at that time based on the most up to date info available. A lot of the guild are currently afk with xmas etc. 

If Bob transfers I will legit cry. Laxxi nooooooo! 

Anyway. We were talking about population drops due to holidays and relink and whether the population will remain low. Doesn't really matter from whom or where that opinion comes from really (from pikeneer or not) just someone who knows piken well. 

Imo piken will bounce back from holiday period. And yes I think we will tank, but that's not a bad thing. As Doas once said "water seeks its own level" and so losing RoS means we deserve to be on a rank that we can handle and not be overwhelmed. 

If the desire is to stay in T1 no matter what, we can always ppt ourselves to death, but we will lose our fighters. So again IMHO, we should let piken balance naturally. Cuz we can't afford to lose any more of our fight oriented people. 

9 hours ago, zinn said:

Mcmidgett my dude your opinion is completely irrelevant to this discussion since you  are on RoS. 

Opens public discussion, dismisses opinions of others based on server.

#pikenpride

I would not expect much of a change in presence during holidays, kids will be online 24/7, and the old **** will spend their time with their family.

Yes I called you what you think I called you, deal with it :*

You called me an admin.

How dare you.

20 hours ago, Eramir216 said:

Well, there are multiple answers to your questions, most of which would be connected and are correct:

• Holidays are always a low attendance period for people, so you see a drop in activity for every server.

So Holidays only affect us? Because in my experience the germans are spending their holidays playing hard and playing cheese builds

14 hours ago, DrPyro said:

Didn't we also lose two of our more active wvw guilds?

I know we had RaW and Doc on blacktide during reset but he is also on RoS now I think.

4 hours ago, Dirtykissma said:

Opens public discussion, dismisses opinions of others based on server.

#pikenpride

Let me reiterate then. I find his opinion personally  irrelevant because he hasn't been doing much beside subtly complain and throw these half-satirical remarks around for a long time. And not just in the forums but ingame as well for weeks. Obviously McMidgett is not wrong but let's not pretend he is trying to add anything of (constructive) value to the thread. And yeah if you are on another server then this discussion should be pretty uninteresting to you, since this is not a mind-blowingly exciting subject. And my aim here is to breath some life into the forum  but also personally invested in the "life" of wvw and the  cause/effect of mass migrations or server dynamic changes.

22 hours ago, ducadiebonhawke said:

I do agree also with what wrote Eramir above with exception of his last point , (  Piken wvw population has always been, in my experience at least, small and inconsistent. People do PvX, instead of servers like WsR where people camp almost 24/7 wvw..... ) . I do really see in this case the opposite PIKEN is great in his population with a very good balancing in the way they move and collaborate and see how to use the right tactics to face the enemies.

I think we need to be more positive about how good Piken can be. 
Okay, so we have;

• a lack of fights commanders since they all stacked on two servers. - That would be a big deal if we really cared about prime-time only. /shrug - you decide.
  • guilds are known to be mostly active at prime-time and these days most seem to be only interested in fights - so this shouldn't affect us if we have nobody to put up against them, so if fights-oriented guilds leave this problem should be minimal - unless it also means a significant drop in overall server population.
  • coverage issue - this will send us down tiers. From what I could tell,  most of the VOCAL RoS players were prime-timers - which may or may not be a true reflection of the server. If RoS coverage was secretly keeping us up, we'll certainly feel it, otherwise all is good.

I don't think it's worth worrying about mass migrations of the casual PPK-oriented players to other servers.

...but then, I think none of us really care about the ladder, we just want to get relatively even sided fighting. The ladder is supposed to sort all of that out in time, but as we've seen since time immemorial, the transfers mess things up and the rise of the PPK-only trend has meant a warping of the ladder system - there's nothing we as players can do about it, we just have to ride this wave as it passes by. We are but boats on a roiling sea.

We have lots of good people and we're still having fun, despite all the bastards and the weird panic regarding relegation! Wooohooo! Up yours, bastards, hahaha!

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

• Recent Status Updates

• 🎁 uglynakedguy

Was planning on getting back in game, but my builds are obsolete...
      · 0 replies
    • 🎁 Drifty  »  🦄 Rose

Hi Rose,
      I have sorted 2 images, I like the battle pose (image 2), but if it's possible can you adjust my ears so they are down (image 1)
      Image 1 
      https://imgur.com/CUPLuMR
      Image 2
      https://imgur.com/FsHaVqu
      Look forward to having an avatar for the forums and ts!!
      I'm really excited to see what you come up with, which by looking at your artwork will be impressive
      Thanking you in advance
      Drifty
      · 1 reply
    • 🎁 Raedwulf  »  🦔 ducadiebonhawke

What am I, a chair to be re-upholstered?! :o I thank you for your kind words, but no, I can't be "recovered". I've never been a part of forum Piken & what I've seen of it this last week or two is... poisonous. And wouldn't I look a complete twit if I came back in whatever capacity. Nah. The forum has always done, well, whatever it's done without me, and the meeting... Can be whatever it wants to be & good luck to any who care to board that ship-that-might-well-sink! But thank you for thinking kindly of me. I can't remember who said it, but someone said words to the effect of "Dukey stepping down was an excuse to..." I don't know if you're a football fan, but I think I know how Moyes felt following Fergie at Man Utd!
      Regards,
      R
      · 2 replies
    • 🎁 Raedwulf  »  🎁 Chris

My apologies. You're obviously not the same Chris (Kiwi = NZer). He infected meeting after meeting, week after week, demanding (in his whiny Kiwi blocked nostril voice) that guilds should be given special privileges (for GvG fights). Particularly at reset, but also seemingly wanting it every day of the week. Without ever offering a damn thing to Piken. Oddly enough, he disappeared after I (politely!) challenged him in one meeting, but I think that was because he belonged to the link server & we changed link a week or two afterward. I claim no credit!

But where I do claim a little credit... I did say "If..." Wherever your first answer to me was, it was an unfortunate coincidence of name & your tone was sufficiently like... that it put me in mind of... I'm apologising now & since this is private, I'm not doing so for public "glory / ego" or whatever. And the reluctant thing  that was one bit you rather sneered at? Turned out I meant it, eh?  
      Regards,
      R
      · 0 replies